ATV Safety Tips
The All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute (ASI) is a not-for-profit division of the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA), formed in 1988 to implement an expanded national program of all-terrain vehicle (ATV) safety education and awareness. The ASI is sponsored by the leading ATV manufacturers.
These are their “golden rules” for ATV use:
- Always wear a helmet and other protective gear.
- Never ride on public roads – another vehicle could hit you.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider vehicle.
- Ride an ATV that’s right for your age.
- Supervise riders younger than 16; ATVs are not toys.
- Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.
The organization also recommends riders take an ATV Rider Course through ASI. Information is available at www.atvsafety.org or by calling 800-887-2887.